Thursday, April 30, 2009

Church of Baseball

Many of you know that baseball is a big deal in this family. If you have known my son long you see his love for the game. I knew without a doubt that my son would love the game before the ultrasound confirmed that we were having a son. Trace was doing the Tomahawk Chop before he was a year old. The first song he learned was Take Me Out To The Ballgame. He went to his first Braves game before he turned 2 and actually sat through the game completely mesmerized until he finally fell asleep after the 7th inning. He is the kid who knew the Braves line up at two-and-a-half. Not only did he know the lineup order but he also knew which way they would bat. He has been playing on teams since he was 2. Some would say that is too young but again if you know my son you understand.

In this house - which we will be naming Phillips Phield soon - you are allowed to throw balls in the house. We do have batting practice in the living room. The pillows become bases and then it's game on. Do things get broke? Yes. Are there holes in my living room walls? Just one...so far. Has Shea-Shea been hit in the process? Yes, but the girl better get used to it - the balls are soft.

In Traces mind and heart the Braves live here. Tim Hudson hits home runs at our house. John Smoltz strikes everyone out. Chipper Jones is one of Trace's good friends. Hank Aaron is still playing the game. Babe Ruth is still alive. And Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez - think The Sandlot my friends - is as real as any pro player.

If I ever have a problem getting Trace to do anything I used to rely on reverse psychology. Now all I have to say is "Chipper Jones would do it". Chipper Jones LOVES his vegetables. Chipper Jones makes his bed. Chipper Jones helps his mommy clean. Chipper Jones rubs his mommy's back and brings her flowers - I haven't tried this one yet but its coming! Basically Chipper Jones does whatever Mommy needs and Trace will do whatever Chipper Jones does. Thank you Chipper!

I knew that my child's love of baseball ran deep but I learned just how deep when his teacher sent home a message for me. The class was learning a new Bible verse. The verse was...

In the beginning, God created the Heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

My sweet boy learned the verse quickly - in his own baseball lovin' way:

In the innings, God created the Heavens and the earth. Genesis 1 to 1.


3 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh my goodness. You've got to love the innosence of a child and where there mind really is :)

Emily said...

Oh dear me! That boy is hilarious. Keep these stories coming, they keep me in stitches.

KellyRose said...

That totally made me laugh out loud! You go Trace. That is awesome!